Is there anything better than the smell of a roasting chicken on a Sunday? This slightly different take on a weekend classic, is sure to become a family favourite. Can be served with roasted veg & potatoes or for a lighter meal, flatbreads, yoghurt & salad.
Honey Type: Runny - Summer, Starflower, Orchard, London
Takes - 10 minutes to prep - 1hour 20mins hours to cook (depending on chicken weight)
Makes - 4-6
What you need - Large roasting tin
1 Free Range high welfare Chicken
4 Tbsp Black Bee honey
2 Tsp Chilli flakes (or to taste)
1 bunch of fresh thyme
3-5 sprigs of fresh rosemary
Good drizzling of olive oil
Generous sprinkling of sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- Pre- heat your oven to 180c, remove chicken from packaging and place in a large roasting tray. Check the label for cooking time as this will vary depending on size.
- Cut the lemon into quarters and place inside the cavity along with half the thyme bunch & half the rosemary.
- Remove the remaining thyme & rosemary from the stalk and roughly chop. Drizzle the chicken generously with olive oil then honey and sprinkle with chilli flakes, chopped herbs & seasoning. Now the best way to evenly cover the chicken is to get involved! Massage the skin with your hands.
- Place the chicken in the oven and roast for 40 minutes, check at this point, the sugar in the honey carameslises which creates a delicious golden crispy skin. When this is a deep brown , cover with foil to stop it from catching any further. Then continue roasting until juices run clear.
- Serve with your choice of seasonal sides!